ni-msme was originally set up as Central Industrial Extension Training Institute (CIETI) in New Delhi in 1960 as a Department under the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, Government of India. It was decided to keep it free from the tardy and impeding administrative controls and procedures, so that the Institute can play a pivotal role in the promotion of small enterprise. Therefore the Institute was shifted to Hyderabad in 1962, and was renamed as Small Industry Extension Training (SIET) Institute.
SIET, as it was fondly known for over two decades later, is managed by Governing Council, appointed by the Government of India. The Founder-Chairman of SIET is Dr P.C. Alexander, the then Development Commissioner (Small Scale Industries).
Centres of Excellence
SIET was conferred the status of national institute by the Government of India with the charter of assisting in the promotion of Small Enterprises mainly by creating a pro-business environment. In 1984, the UNIDO had recognised SIET as an institute of meritorious performance under its Centres of Excellence Scheme subsequently, it was also accorded the national status in the same year and SIET Institute became nisiet. Since then the institute has come a long way, carving a place of distinction for itself in the domain of entrepreneurship promotion, achieving recognition both at the national level and in the international arena. To cope with the pressure of globalisation, the Government of India has enacted the MSMED Bill in the Parliament, which became effective from 2nd October 2006. Accordingly, the Institute, in order to reflect the expanded focus of its objectives with name was rechristened as ni-msme from 11th April 2007 and re-desined its structure and organisation. It is an organisation of the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (formerly Ministry of SSI & ARI), Government of India.
The ni-msme (formerly as SIET) was registered at Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh under Public Societies Registration Act I of 1350 Fasli with effective from 1st July 1962.
Administration of the society
The affairs of the Society are managed, administered, directed and controlled through Governing Council constituted by the Government of India as per Rule 22(a & b) of Rules and Regulations of the Society. The Society, as provided under Rule 3 of Rules and Regulations, was constituted by the Government of India.
Mr Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Hon'ble Minister of MSME, Govt. of India is the President of the Society and Chairman of the Governing Copuncil of ni-msme. Dr. Arun Kumar Panda, IAS, Secretary, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Govt. of India is the Vice- President of the Society, Vice-Chairman of the Governing Council and Chairman of the Executive Committee. Ms. Alka Nangia Arora is the Joint Secretary of Government of India, Ministry. of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises and Ms. Glory Swarupa is the Director General of the Institute.
Outstanding Research and Consultancy Studies
ni-msme has been instrumental in conducting several outstanding research / consultancy studies that include.
- Development of Pochampad Region (1972).
- Identification of Growth Centres in Vidharbha Region (1973).
- Industrial Potential Studies of Different Regions in the Country (since 1974).
- Impact / Evaluation Studies on Major Government Programmes and Schemes such as TYRSEM, DWCRA, PMRY, SEEUY, CMEY, ADARANA, IIDs, SHGs, WDCs, Development Commissioner (Handlooms), Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), and NBCFDC.
- Policy Research Studies (since 1978).
- Preparation of Check-list for Diagnosis of Sick Units and Case Studies (from 1981).
- District Development and Regional Planning Studies.
- Techno-economic Feasibility Studies in Textiles and Handicrafts Sector of Arunachal Pradesh (2001).
- Study on Identification of Projects for Specific Resource Base in Northeastern Region (2003).
- Vision Document for Empowering Women in Mauritius (2003).
- Project Profiles on SMEs for Mauritius (2004).
- Information Requirements of SMEs (2005).
- Hand-holding, Monitoring, Implementation of MSME Clusters (2004-07).
- Hand-holding of SFURTI, Handlooms, Handicrafts Clusters (2006 onwards).
- Evaluation Study of Ongoing Schemes of NBCFDC in the State of Tamilnadu (2008)
- Evaluation of NBCFDC Schemes in the Union Territory of Puducherry, Goa and Kerala (2009-10)
- Evaluation of the Functioning of Innovative and Experimental Programmes on Schools run by Bhagavatula Charitable Trust (BCT) under Rajiv Vidhya Mission, Andhra Pradesh in Visakhapatnam District (2009-10)
- Evaluation Study for Bringing More Effectiveness in Implementation of the Schemes under AHVY sponsored by the Office of Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India, New Delhi (2009-10)
- Preparation of Training Modules for Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation, Govt. of India (2009-10)
- Execution of Research Studies Sponsored by the Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation, Govt. of India (2009-10)
- Resource Centre for Traditional Paintings in Handicrafts (2010-11)
- Cluster Resource-cum-Monitoring Agency for 37 Clusters in A.P. and 24 Clusters in Kerala (2010-11)
- Evaluation of the Scheme “Export Promotion (Training Programmes on Packaging for Exports)” sponsored by the DC(MSME) (2013-14)
- Capacity Development of Business Membership Organisations (BMO) in India - Part of the MSME Umbrella Programme of GIZ (2013-14)
- Evaluation of Pochampally Handloom Centre sponsored by DC(Handlooms)(2013-14)
- Evaluation Study of Re-engineering and Restructuring of DIC, Department of MSME, Government of Odisha (2014-15)
- Baseline Survey on skill development for sustainable income generation in Dantewada district, Chattisgarh, NMDC-CSR (2014-15)
- 100% Physical Verification of PMEGP Units financed in the States of Assam, Kerala, Lakshadeep and Telangana (2014-16)
- Study on Revitalisation for DICs and RICs in Odisha State (2014-16)
- Project for Development student tracking system through web based software Application for APCET (2015-16)
- Student of Employee Satisfaction and Organsation Climate for NMDC (2015-16)
- Preparation of Detailed Project Report of Gadwal Handloom Park (2015-16)
- Conducting Diagnostic Study on Murmura cluster in Gondia district, Nagpur under KRDP Clusters Programme of KVIC (2015-16)
- Soft Interventions for Harihara Khadi Cluster, Davangere (Karnataka), Kothkur Ikat Handloom Weaving Cluster, Nalgonda (Telangana), Pedana Kalamkari Block Printing Cluster, Pedana (Andhra Pradesh), Kondapalli Wood Craft Cluster, Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh), Pembarthi Metalware Cluster, Warangal (Telangana), and Ieeza Gadwal Silk Cluster, Mahboobnagar (Telangana) (2015-16)
- Evaluation Study of Training Schemes of NBCFDC in Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh (2015-16)
Pioneer Training Programme
ni-msme has initiated several specialised and tailor-made training programmes, the first of their kind in the cream of MSME. A few of them are
- Management Development Programmes.
- Programme on Area Development.
- Programme on Feasibility Survey and Analysis.
- Programme on Industrial Estates.
- Programme for Young Engineers and Technocrats.
- Vertically Integrated Course on Orientation through Small Industry Development for IAS / IES Officers.
- Effective Development Programmes for Rationalised Employees of State and Central PSUs.
- Exclusive Programmes for International Executives of Various Themes on Regular Basis.
- Enterprise Development and Government Effectiveness (EDGE) Programme for Srilankan Administrative Officials.
- Sensitivity Training in Production Planning and Control.
- Faculty Development Programmes.
- Programmes on Cluster Development.
- Programmes on Focused Themes for Executives of North East
- Conducted a Pioneering Research Study in Achievement Motivation in association with Prof. David McClelland’s Kakinada Experiment (1964).
- Organised the First Executive Laboratory in India (1964) .
- Conducted the First International Training Programme in SME Development (1967).
- Developed the Concept of Appropriate Technologies in Indian Industry (1969).
- Established a Specialised Information Centre, the Small Enterprises National Documentation Centre (SENDOC) (1971).
- Assisted The Tanzanian Government in Establishing a SIDO (1974).
- Established a Branch Regional Centre at Guwahati (1979).
- Attained National Status and Renamed as National Institute of Small Industry Extension Training (nisiet) (1984).
- Prepared Case Studies and Video Documentaries on S&T Entreprenuers (1986).
- Developed The First Computerised Software Package on Simulation Exercises for Small Industry Management (SIMSIM) (1987); Project Appraisal and Evaluation (CAPE) (1996).
- UNESCO Chair (1997).
- Achieved Self – sufficiency (2001-02).
- B2B Transactions with Uganda, Namibia, South Africa, Bhutan, Nigeria, Sudan, Cameroon and Ghana (2000 – 2007).
- National workshop on MSME Cluster Development conducted in New Delhi (2008).
- International Programmes for Bank of Ghana (2006-08);
- All-time record of 28 international Executive Development Programmes, 5 of them specially for African countries (2007-08)
- Outreach programme for African women executives as a fore-runner to India-Africa Forum Summit (2008)
- International Programmes for Bangladesh Small & Cottage Industries Corporation (BSCIC) (2008-09)
- Ford Foundation
- Agricultural Development Projects of Nigera
- SIDO of Tanzania
- Bank of Ghana, ARB Apex
Central Government Ministries/ Departments
Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
- DC (MSME)
- Coir Board
Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises
- Department of Public Enterprises
Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region
- North Eastern Council
- North East Development Finance Corporation
- North East Handicrafts and Handlooms Development Corporation
Ministry of Food Processing Industries
Ministry of External Affairs
Ministry of Finance
- Department of Economic Affairs
Ministry of Labour and Employment
- Directorate General of Employment & Training (DGET)
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
- Department of Personnel and Training
Ministry of Science and Technology
- Department of Science and Technology
- Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR)
- National S&T Entrepreneurship Development Board
Ministry of Textiles
- DC (Handlooms)
- DC (Handicrafts)
Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
- Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
- Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana(SJSRY)
Ministry of Rural Development
- Department of Rural Development
Ministry of Defence
- Directorate General of Quality Assurance
- Directorate of Planning and Coordination
- Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation (NBCFDC)
- National Scheduled Castes Finance and
Development Corporation (NSCFDC)
Ministry of Women and Child Development
- Department of Women and Child Development
Ministry of Commerce and Industry
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
- Department of Commerce
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade
Ministry of Planning
Ministry of Environment & Forests
Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation